Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Storing your clamps?

I've taken that whole "you can never have too many clamps" thing to heart, but in my small workshop I just can't find a good way to store them. They're either too far out of the way and it's a pain to get them when I need them, or they're not far enough out of the way and I'm always having to move them to get what I really need.

So I'd like to see some pictures of how you all store your clamps in the hopes of maybe getting an idea for my own.

Thanks,
    Nathan

RE: Storing your clamps?

I'm at work between patients so I don't have any links at the moment but I have seen two recent plans for mobile clamp storage racks that vague resembled a tall sawhorse.

One side was dedicated to pipe clamps with holes cut into either the top or bottom to hold the clamps securely with gravity....probably more like slots on the top and stopped holes on the bottom and angled back against the rack. That way you lift up just a little and pull it out.

The opposite side had a shelf or two for quick clamps, cam clamps etc and there were additional boards running the length of the A frame on either side for C-clamps.

This was built with casters so you can roll your clamp stand to where you need it and took up minimal floor space. I'll see if there are any free links to these when I get home.

In Vershire, I had a board attached to the wall & just clamped all (most of) my clamps to it. In Fairlee, short time that I lived there, I clamped 'em to the end of one of the biggie shelving units I stored my tools on... except for the 8' pipe clamps, which I leaned against the wall. Right now, since I'm still setting my shop back up, I'm just leaning 'em ALL (all the "longish" ones) against the wall for the moment, & got the C-clamps & handscrews tucked into plastic crates.

Little later on, when I get the shop more in order, I'll be putting up a clamp board again to accomodate all but the danged 8' pipe clamps, which're always a little bit of a storage problem.

-- Tim --

Things are bad...
    Last night my fantasy girlfriend
    Dumped me
    For an imaginary guy...

:)

Man, Cody, I didn't realize from when we met the you are AR. :) That is just way too neat and organized for a real shop.

I made an overhead lumber rack from the angle iron from an old hollywood style bedframe. Connected to the trusses with lag bolts so it ain't goin anywhere. The flat of the angle is up to support the wood and I clamp my bar clamps onto the 3/16" thick part of the angle facing downward. You can see some of them in this pic.

http://xs208.xs.to/xs208/06420/Shop04.jpg

In the pic below you can see the edge of my pipe clamp rack on the right side of the picture.

http://xs208.xs.to/xs208/06420/Shop07.jpg

C-clamps are in a box somewhere in there and spring clamps get clamped onto the support of a small shelf by my dirty bench.

MAN! You're RIGHT! It's rotated, too! See that? :)

-- Tim --

Things are bad...
    Dumped me
    For an imaginary guy...

Yeah, I saw that too, but I don't like to kick a man when he's down :7 :7 :7

The lack of perfect verticle symetry does not bother me as much as that with in the same group the one on the left is missing the yellow clamp pad.

No Fung Shui today I'm afraid.

Well life is what happens when you are making plans...

My X had to take my little princess baby girl to the ER Tuesday night because we just can't get her asthma under control and her mom is a respiratory therapist....

Tuesday night was shot and I had a divorce care class tonight but I looked around a little on line and through a couple recent mags but did not find the mobile clamp stand. Its funny because I recall seeing two similiar versions recently and I think putting it on wheels will be most handy.

I'll keep looking.

Man, you guys are tuff!

I'll straighten that non-vertical, twisted clamp when I get home...I just got back offshore and I'm big-time sleepy right now. I'm on nights this week and it takes a while to get my circadian rhythms modulated. :)

Scooter, I'm still looking for that yellow clamp pad. It's in the shop somewhere, I just haven't found it yet. ;)

Oh yeah, the missing Quick-Grip clamp (evidenced by the empty space) is on my bandsaw fence, just in case you wondered.

Cody
    Tyler, TX

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep for that which he cannot lose.

Yeah, we were all, like, quizzical about that one - yet too polite to ask. :)

I've got one mini missing both pads. I'll be danged if I can find 'em anyplace, and Irwin doesn't seem to sell 'em. S'pose I'll have to make up a pair of wooden ones.

-- Tim --

Things are bad...
    Dumped me
    For an imaginary guy...