Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RE: Simple Painting Question: OIL over LATEX?

Most oil based interior paints are made to go over both latex and oil based primer. You probably don't even need to sand unless you are really particular.

Cody
    Tyler, TX

[center]He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep for that which he cannot lose.

How many coats of the top coat did you try putting on? Additional coats may even out the color.

Have you tried thinning it with water, 5-10%. More water may extend the dry time.

What if you rolled it on side to side instead of up and down. Shorter stroke means less time to dry leaving a wet edge.

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to get an even finish on this thing and from what I've read oil paint is the way to achieve this.

I put on 3 top coats so far. It looks great from a step or two back but the roller marks can be seen when the light hits it just right.

I have not tried thinning the paint with water but maybe I'll give that a shot. I'm at the end of my rope!

I did try shorter side to side strokes (laying the cabinet on its side) but got the same results.

If the oil paint can go on top and not crack then this is what I'm probably going to do but I'd love to hear more opinions...

THANKS!!

FOAM? roller.

Try a 3/8 nap roller - or 1/4 nap

Light pressure - just barely enough pressure to hold the roller against the surface.

I am with Leo on this. That is a big mistake using a low nap roller. What ends up happening is that you do not put enoght paint on so that material can not flow out.

Whenever I paint walls, ceilings or such I always use at least a 1/2" nap wool roller cover. That way you get plenty of material on and the wool roller cover cleans real easy. They are so much easier to clean than those cheap covers.

Gary

"Restoring an old Donkey Kong arcade cabinet"!!! Did anyone else catch the irony in this statement? It wasn't less than 20 years ago that Donkey Kong was a marvel of technology.

Walt

Ditto what Leo said. I just finished painting several steel doors with latex and a 3" wool roller. First coat you could see through in places and the roller marks were quite obvious. Once that coat was dry to touch, a second coat gave good coverage, and a third coat did the job.

The thing that caught my eye was the fact he is in NJ and they wouldn't sell him more than a quart. Would love to hear what that is all about.

Mike

Combination of nanny state and enviro watchdogs. If they allowed more than a quart someone might sniff the fumes to get high and cook a bunch of brain cells (that they could do the same with a quart is immaterial). The thinner/carrier for oil based products are VOCs so they want to limit their availability. The fact that you can probably buy mineral spirits or other thinners by the gallon is also immaterial, apparently.