Oak and Walnut telephone stand: This was my first project to use either pocket-holes or tapered legs. I used ¾ inch oak plywood with the edges trimmed in walnut, and added tapered walnut legs. The trim along the back is double height, and raised to prevent pesky pencils from rolling off the back. It’s finished with several coats of rubbed-on polyurethane. The walnut came from my wife’s grandparent’s tree.
Window Cornice: I saw a plan online for a quick and easy window cornice, and decided customize the concept. Rather than screwing it directly into the window header or studs, I went with a couple of small French cleats in the corners. It’s not going to hold a lot of weight, so I didn’t run the cleat all the way across the back. The trim is cut diagonally from a 1×2 and run through a router with an ogee bit. The rod goes through holes cut to fit at either end so the decorative ends show on the outside. I took one brace from the curtain rod hardware, and with a little bending and cutting it was able to connect backwards to the inside of the front face of the cornice to support the middle of the rod. The red oak is finished with brushed-on clear polyurethane.