A Miter Saw Station for Many

August 13th, 2010 by

Sometimes being Woodworker’s Journal’s “Field” Editor, I feel like I’m way, way out in some field. What I mean here is, I’m one step removed from the day-to-day feedback we receive in our home office from readers about what we publish. A lot of mail comes in, but generally I don’t get to see it. I work from home, which is several states away.

Well, thanks to this blog, I’m getting quite a lot of feedback from you regarding the “Ultimate Miter Saw Stand” I built for the June 2010 print issue. It seems to be resonating well with many who are looking for a better place to put their miter saws. Lots of you are asking for a Cutting List to help build it, and I’m happy to forward a PDF to anyone that needs it. Just leave a comment and I’ll send it to you.  Click Here to download the Cutting List.

EDITOR’S NOTE: Due to the enormous amount of interest in this project, we have made the Ultimate Miter Saw Stand (including the plans for the entire project, the Cutting List, the correction listed below, and the plans for optional Scrap Bins) available as a Downloadable Plan in our online store. Click here to purchase and receive the plan immediately!

So, thanks for your interest in the project! When I designed it, I was a bit concerned that its overall size would be too big for many shops. That doesn’t seem to be a problem—or you are changing the proportions as needed to fit your space. Good deal!

Two more things in this regard:

1) Email us a photo of your completed Miter Saw Station if you build it. It’s always fun to show nice reader projects both here on the blog and in the “Letters” section of the print magazine. Your photo might give others a boost to get out there and build one for themselves.

2) There is one mistake in the Sides/Divider Panels drawing on page 42 that I’d like to point out (a reader caught it a while back): the spacing between the two shelf dadoes is 11 1/4″, not 18″ as originally appeared in the print magazine.

Lastly, if there are shop projects you’d like to see us design and build for future print issues, let me know in the comment section below. I’ll be happy to throw them into the collective hopper as we plan for the future. We’re always looking for fresh ideas.

Catch you in the shop,

Chris Marshall, Field Editor

EDITOR’S NOTE: Due to the enormous amount of interest in this project, we have made the Ultimate Miter Saw Stand (including the Cutting List, the correction listed above, and the plans for optional Scrap Bins) available as a Downloadable Plan in our online store. Click here to purchase and receive the plan immediately!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

338 Responses to “A Miter Saw Station for Many”

1. Chris Marshall says:

Mike,

Please check your email for the Cutting Diagram. Thanks for inquiring about the project, and hope you keep making sawdust!

2. Bob DiLorenzo says:

Chris,

I’d like to see that pdf.

Thanks,

Bob

3. Chris Marshall says:

Bob,

Please check your email for the Miter Saw Station Cutting Diagram.

Thanks for your interest in the project!

4. Bob says:

Nice clean looking design. I have a 12 inch fixed duel bevel Bosch which I love to death. At my age simplicity and large scales are the selling factor for me. Will you cut list work well for my Bosch? If so i’d appreciate a copy. Thanks

5. Terry Reiman says:

I would like to receive a pdf. of the miter saw project. Thank you for some great information in past issues and hope you continue the good work.

Terry

6. Ernie Kachaturian says:

I ran across your video on the miter saw stand as I was looking for some ideas for something I need to build.

It was well thought out and just what I was looking for. I would like to take advantage of your offer for a cut list and a pan if available.

Keep up the good work and thank you.

7. George Bailey says:

Perfect project for me, a new hobbyist setting up my own small shop. Please send .pdf file. Thank you.

GB

8. Russell says:

Hi Chris,

The miter saw station looks great. I was planning on building one soon, but I’m waiting for the new Bosch Gliding miter saw to come out next month. I would appreciate if you could send me the PDF cutting diagrams to assist me in my project.

Thanks,

Russell

9. Bob Smith says:

I would like a copy of the pdf, material list, etc. for this project, A Miter Saw Station for Many. I’m building a new shop and want to add it too my shop for organization, ease of use. I was thinking also about adapting it to use alternatively with my 13 1/2″ planner.

10. Terry Boeholt says:

Chris,

I would also like the PDF of the plans for the Ultimate Miter station.

Very nice job!

Thanks,

Terry

11. Chris Marshall says:

Bob,

You should be able to modify this Miter Saw Station easily to fit your dual-bevel Bosch saw. The biggest issue, really, will be resizing the moveable saw platform so it’s wide and deep enough to suit Bosch’s base (and, it may require no modification at all). The other important dimension will be how tall your saw’s base is and then rectifying that with the project material list.

I just emailed the cutting diagram to you. Good luck with your project!

12. Chris Marshall says:

Terry,

13. Chris Marshall says:

Bob,

I just emailed you the cutting diagram for the Miter Saw Station. Hope you enjoy building it! I like your idea of retrofitting it to work with a benchtop planer. I’d like to see that variation in a few photos if you build it. We’ll try to share them with other readers, too.

14. Chris Marshall says:

Russell,

15. Chris Marshall says:

George,

16. Chris Marshall says:

Ernie,

17. Dave Lewis says:

Hi Chris,

Your miter saw station looks very compact. I am planning on building a workshop and this looks like it would fit in my plans. I would appreciate if you could send me the PDF cutting diagrams to assist me in my project.

Thanks,
    Dave

18. Chris Marshall says:

Hi Dave,

Just emailed you that cutting diagram. Good luck with your future shop—and projects!

Best to you,

19. Norris Tait says:

Hello; I am reorganizing my shop (new permanent dust collector system) This saw station will work out perfect in my shop. The pdf. would be very appreciated. Looks very well built. thank you.

20. Chris Marshall says:

Norris,

Check your email for that PDF you requested for the Miter Saw Station.

21. Tim McDonald says:

Nice station. Would love to see the PDF as well.

22. Chris Marshall says:

Tim,

Please check your email for the miter saw station cutting diagram you requested.

Thanks for your interest in the project!

23. Bill Stanley says:

Nice Project, I would like the Cut List also.

24. Chris Marshall says:

Bill,

Thanks for your interest in the project!

25. Mike D says:

Chris,

Great article! Can you email the cutting diagram for the project to me as well? Looks like it takes about 5-6 sheets by my rough calculation…. Thanks ahead of time for your help!

Mike

26. Kevin says:

Chris,

I would also like the PDF of the plans for the Ultimate Miter station.

Very nice job!

Thanks,

Kevin

27. Tim Gavin says:

Ok Chris, everyone else has been asking fir the pdf. I have benn wanting to build one of these for ever. I like the design. Please send. Thanks!

28. Chris Marshall says:

Mike,

Check you email for that cutting diagram. You’ve got it right—five sheets are required for the project. Thanks for inquiring about it.

29. Chris Marshall says:

Kevin,

30. Chris Marshall says:

Tim,

31. Bob Horner says:

Dear Chris,

A well thought-out miter station. I am in the midst of redesigning my shop to make more space and decided to sell my radial arm saw in favor of a miter saw. I now have an older DeWalt 12″ compound miter saw (love it, but cross cuts only 8″), but when I saw the new Bosch glide saw, I decided to wait for that one and will build the miter station around it. A typical sliding miter saw needs too much depth clearance.

Thanks for a great design. Could you please send the cutting list?

Bob

32. Able Cross says:

love that miter saw stand,,,,would love the plans,,,,thanks

33. Jim Warneke Sr. says:

I’d love more info on your Mitre Saw station. I’ve wanted to make a dedicated area for my shop for a long time instead of just clamping mine in a workmate.

Jim

34. Chris Marshall says:

Jim,

35. Chris Marshall says:

Able,

36. Chris Marshall says:

Bob,

37. Tom Gibbons says:

Great project! Can I also get the pdf plans

38. Greg says:

Awesome setup!! Please send me the .pdf, I now have a project for my 3 day weekend!!

39. Chris Marshall says:

Tom,

40. Chris Marshall says:

Greg,

41. Stephen says:

I would like to get a copy of the cut list. This is my next project as soon as I finish a sewing table for my wife.

42. Chris Marshall says:

Stephen,

43. David Troup says:

Chris,

I would also like the PDF of the plans for the Ultimate Miter station.

Very nice job!

Thanks,

David

44. Chris Marshall says:

David,

45. Jen Que Louie says:

Chris Marshall,

I read your article with great interest as I retired recently and decide to put up crown molding in a few rooms. I clamped my compound miter saw to a low painter’s scaffold and build four ancillary support blocks for the over hanging stock. After the project was completed and I’ve toyed with the idea of getting back into woodworking

So for the past few months I pondered how I would setup my small shop and what tools would make-up my core pieces. The miter saw was first on my list and I researched many possible work solutions. I read your article “Ultimate Miter Saw Stand” and it appears to be good starting foundation for my quest. I would greatly appreciate a PDF copy of your project. Thank you for your time and efforts. JQL//

46. Thomas Mahoney says:

That station looks great. Do you have a cut list for it?
    Thanks,
    Tom

47. Paul Manneck says:

I’d love to get the .pdf. I think i will need to modify it with folding “wings”. I don’t have the room for it.

48. Chris Marshall says: