A Miter Saw Station for Many

August 13th, 2010 by

Sometimes being Woodworker’s Journal’s “Field” Editor, I feel like I’m way, way out in some field. What I mean here is, I’m one step removed from the day-to-day feedback we receive in our home office from readers about what we publish. A lot of mail comes in, but generally I don’t get to see it. I work from home, which is several states away.

Well, thanks to this blog, I’m getting quite a lot of feedback from you regarding the “Ultimate Miter Saw Stand” I built for the June 2010 print issue. It seems to be resonating well with many who are looking for a better place to put their miter saws. Lots of you are asking for a Cutting List to help build it, and I’m happy to forward a PDF to anyone that needs it. Just leave a comment and I’ll send it to you.  Click Here to download the Cutting List.

EDITOR’S NOTE: Due to the enormous amount of interest in this project, we have made the Ultimate Miter Saw Stand (including the plans for the entire project, the Cutting List, the correction listed below, and the plans for optional Scrap Bins) available as a Downloadable Plan in our online store. Click here to purchase and receive the plan immediately!

So, thanks for your interest in the project! When I designed it, I was a bit concerned that its overall size would be too big for many shops. That doesn’t seem to be a problem—or you are changing the proportions as needed to fit your space. Good deal!

Two more things in this regard:

1) Email us a photo of your completed Miter Saw Station if you build it. It’s always fun to show nice reader projects both here on the blog and in the “Letters” section of the print magazine. Your photo might give others a boost to get out there and build one for themselves.

2) There is one mistake in the Sides/Divider Panels drawing on page 42 that I’d like to point out (a reader caught it a while back): the spacing between the two shelf dadoes is 11 1/4″, not 18″ as originally appeared in the print magazine.

Lastly, if there are shop projects you’d like to see us design and build for future print issues, let me know in the comment section below. I’ll be happy to throw them into the collective hopper as we plan for the future. We’re always looking for fresh ideas.

Catch you in the shop,

Chris Marshall, Field Editor

EDITOR’S NOTE: Due to the enormous amount of interest in this project, we have made the Ultimate Miter Saw Stand (including the Cutting List, the correction listed above, and the plans for optional Scrap Bins) available as a Downloadable Plan in our online store. Click here to purchase and receive the plan immediately!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

338 Responses to “A Miter Saw Station for Many”

1. Bill says:

Chris

The Miter Saw Station looks great. Building my shop area and had wondered what to do for my Miter Saw. Now I know. Is it possible to get a copy of your cutting diagram for the bench?

Be safe
    Bill

2. Richard Thorsen says:

I really like the “Ultimate Miter Saw Stand”. I would like to build it also. Would you please send me the pdf file.

Thank you, Great job!
    Richard

3. Adam says:

Chris-
    I am definitely building this. Could I get the cut list as well? Also I would like to know,
    1 what kind of plywood you chose?
    2 how you finished it?
    3 when you say nail the face frame to the carcass, what do you use? pin nailer? brad? size? remember I am a novice. etc..
    4 if you wanted to make the fences removable, what would you do?

you rock!

Adam

4. Chris Marshall says:

Adam,

Thanks for your kind words and your interest in the project. Check your email for the cutting diagram.

To answer your questions:
    1) I used five sheets of maple veneer plywood to build the project, but any cabinet-grade plywood with a nice face would work fine.
    2) I finished the station with water-based poly, because it was early spring and I needed to keep the shop closed up and heated. Water-based poly doesn’t smell as bad as oil-based and dries really quickly.
    3) I used an 18-gauge brad nailer and 2-in. brads to nail the face frame to the carcass. You could hand-nail it with finish nails if you don’t have an brad nailer yet, or biscuits instead. I would definitely go with more than just glue to secure this big face frame in place.
    4) You could use bolts and nuts or wingnuts to make the fences removable instead of wood screws, as I used here. Removable fences might actually make this project even more versatile, because you could use those side support areas for other shop uses too. Be creative!

Enjoy the project,

5. Chris Marshall says:

Richard,

Please check your email for that cutting diagram.

Thanks for inquiring about the project!

6. Chris Marshall says:

Bill,

Please check your email for that cutting diagram.

Thanks for inquiring about the project!

7. Les Gorton says:

That looks to be one of the nicest miter saw stations I have seen. I have been going to build one and I would appreciate the PDF file. Very nice job Chris. Thank you Les Gorton

8. Gary High says:

I have been looking for a great miter saw station to replace the one I had to leave behind when we moved. Will you please send me a copy of your plan/cutting list.

Gary

9. Tim says:

I have a question on the “doubling” of the plywood panels in the center of the stand. Was this so it would be simpler to essentially build three cabinets, was it required for extra strength, was it so there would be more strength where there were two dados across from each other or some other reason? Just wondering as I looking to put together a materials list for the project and with the 3/4″ back panel it would seem to be very sturdy without the doubling of the panels.
    Please forward a cutting diagram to me as well.
    Thank you very much.

10. Darcy Sheaffer says:

I think that the Miter Saw station is great. This type of station would fit nicely into my shop. Please send be a pdf of the project.

Thanks in advance,

Darcy Sheaffer

11. John says:

I would like the cutting list too. Thanks for what appears to be a great project!

12. Zeke Galloway says:

Chris

I like the looks of this miter saw station. Please send me a set plans via my email address.

Thanks

Zeke

13. Poppa Rob says:

Hey I would like to get a PDF copy of the June Ultimate Miter Saw Station, any and all help that you can send me as I am not a wood person yet, this will be one of my first project to get into this, I am disable and learning to re-educate myself to do other things to make money,

Poppa Rob

14. bob milner says:

i sure did like your miter saw station.could i get a set of plans ,with a cut diagram. this is something i would like to build. where in ohio do you live? i live north of wooster
    thanks
    bob

15. James Swayze says:

Great project! Perfect for me! May I have the PDF?

16. Chris Marshall says:

James,

Please check your email for that cutting diagram.

Thanks for inquiring about the project!

17. Chris Marshall says:

Bob,

Please check your email for that cutting diagram. Thanks for inquiring about the project!

18. Chris Marshall says:

Rob,

19. Chris Marshall says:

Zeke,

20. Chris Marshall says:

John,

21. Chris Marshall says:

Darcy,

22. Chris Marshall says:

Gary,

23. Chris Marshall says:

Les,

24. Brad says:

Great design! I’d love the plan as well.

Brad

25. Steve says:

That looks great! I’ve been thinking about a miter stand like this for a few weeks. I’d love to see the plans.

26. Phil Manno says:

Very impressive miter saw station! Please send the PDF. Thanks in advance
    -Phil

27. Kevin says:

Chris, Please send me a PDF copy of the miter bench.
    Thanks

Kevin
    krjd4440@hotmail.com

28. John Nettles says:

Yap I want a diagram to :-)

29. Vadym says:

Hi Chris,

Could you please, send me cutting diagram of your ultimate miter saw station.

Thanks,

35. Chris Marshall says:

Brad,

36. tom goldsmith says:

This saw station is just what I need. Please send pdf link. Thanks

37. Simone Russo says:

Chris,
    your Miter Saw Station is beautiful!

Can you send me the cut list, please? Thanks in advance.

Very nice job :)

Simone

38. john nickholds says:

fantastic project one i would love to attempt can you send me all the info avaliable and i will send you acopy of my completed one regards john

39. Chris Marshall says:

John,

Please check your email for the Miter Saw Station Cutting Diagram. Thanks for inquiring about the project!

40. Chris Marshall says:

Simone,

41. Chris Marshall says:

Tom,

42. S. White says:

I am interested in your Miter Saw Station. Could you send me a copy of your plan and cutting diagram? Could it be broken down into modular units allowing for moving around in a small shop/garage?

43. Bob Richardson says:

I would also love the pdf’s.

Thanks

Bob

44. Michael Borg says:

I was just talking about a mitersaw station with another woodworker today and we are needing these plans
    Thanks
    Mike

45. Rian says:

Hey Chris,

I’m in the process of converting my garage into a shop and you miter saw station would make a great addition. Could you send me a copy of the cutting diagram?

Thanks
    Rian

46. Brandt Weaver says:

I’d like to get a cut list too.
    Thanks!
    Brandt

47. Chris Marshall says:

Brandt,

Please check your email for the Miter Saw Station Cutting Diagram.

Thanks for your interest in the project!

48. Chris Marshall says:

Rian,

Please check your email for the Miter Saw Station Cutting Diagram.

Thanks for your interest in the project!

49. Chris Marshall says:

Mike,

Please check your email for the Miter Saw Station Cutting Diagram.

Thanks for your interest in the project!

50. Chris Marshall says:

You could probably break the unit down into three pieces—the two cabinets for storing offcuts and the center cabinet with doors. My biggest concern would be figuring out how to bring the three together any place on your shop floor and have the tops of all three units still be flush. One advantage to making project as is, is that the support tables never fall out of alignment with one another. If you do make the station more modular, send us some photos to show how you worked it out!

Thanks for your interest in the project!