Changing Drill Press Chuck

I need to change the chuck on my drill press. How do I get the old one off?

Tim Inman: 
Most drill press chucks are mounted via a Morse taper shaft. If so, there will be a slot in the column where you can insert a tapered drift key punch. One good swat on the drift key, and the chuck will drop out suddenly.

John Brock: It will either have a slot in the side of the quill for a drift, or may have a hollow quill you can run a small rod down to break it free.

Posted in: