Rob Johnstone explains the best method for adding paint to a piece of raw wood.
How to Apply This Finish
1. Sand the project up through the grits to150-grit
a. It is a good idea to sand pieces that will be hard to reach before assembly.
2. If you have any nail holes, cracks or defects in the wood, fill them now with a wood filler — sand smooth
3. Brush on a coat of latex primer — sand smooth when it dries
4. Brush on a coat of Chalk or Milk-Paint. (A second coat may be required)
5. Rub on a coat of colored wax as an accent